My first experience with a fitness band began exactly a week ago when I bought the Garmin Vivosmart at Sitex.
This was after much evaluation of the options available in the market. Essentially, wearables fall broadly into two categories — activity tracker and smartwatch. I wanted the look of an activity tracker (which I think looks cool) with the features of a smartwatch, especially notifications from smartphone.
The Garmin Vivosmart fits these requirements nicely. After one week of wearing it, I must say that its features have transformed my life in several ways.
- I have become more health conscious — the fitness band vibrates to tell me when I’ve been sitting too long, prompting me to get up and move. And the steps taken (or lack of) showed me how inactive my life/work is. Instead of sitting in front of the monitor for most of the day, I am now moving around every hour or so.
- I am more mindful of what I’m eating — Coupled with the Garmin Connect and My Fitness Pal apps, I am learning to count calories (again) and know when to stop popping in that extra piece of cake that’s been calling my name.
- I don’t miss any calls — I usually set my smartphone to vibrate when I’m out of the office or in meetings. With smart notifications, the Vivosmart vibrates when I have an incoming call. Bye, bye, missed calls!
- I get a lot of questions — The Vivosmart looks like a piece of black band so I’ve been asked many times what it does. And, I get the chance to evangelise the product (Garmin is not paying me anything) and raise awareness of wearables.
- I can tell time in the dark — This is especially useful when I’m on the bed at night. A quick double-tap and voila, I know the time and exactly why I shouldn’t be awake at that time.
In conclusion, I am delighted with the Garmin Vivosmart. At S$229, it may be a little pricey compared to other activity trackers, but hey, I like its cool looks and the functionalities which have shaped my life in just one week. And the fact that it’s an advanced birthday present from my daughters make the gadget even more valuable.