By Edward Lim
Apple unveiled two new iPads early this morning — the 8th generation iPad and 4th generation iPad Air. If that has gotten you excited, it’s understandable because the specifications and features are amazing.
Just take the new iPad Air. It has impressive credentials. A secured touch screen with 10.9-inch liquid retina display. A powerful A14 Bionic chip that can capture and edit 4K video. An array of colours to choose from. And who could not be attracted to the 2nd generation Apple Pencil?
Of course, it packs much more than these but let’s focus on these for now.
Are these good enough reasons to dunk your current device for this newbie? Don’t get me wrong. I’m not putting down the new offerings.
I’ve owned the first and third generation iPads and am proud of Apple for their innovations. In fact, it’s because of the reliability of Apple’s products that I’m still using the third generation iPad bought in 2012 today. It does everything I need it for. Whatever it cannot do, I will use my notebook or smartphone.
7 REASONS NOT TO GET
Here are seven reasons why I won’t be getting a new iPad.
- My current device is still working fine. It’s a testament of Apple’s quality.
- I can still do what I need with my well-used iPad.
- I don’t play games that require graphics grunt.
- I don’t need a more powerful device — the old chip is fast enough for what I need to do.
- I don’t need an iPad in another colour — I can always buy a cover of any other colour. Admittedly, it’s harder to find these today but not impossible.
- The display is good and bright enough for me.
- I don’t shoot and edit 4K videos on my iPad.
I can think of many more reasons but these seven are good enough to convince me not to part with my cash to get more dash.
AND 7 REASONS TO LAY HOLD OF A NEW ONE
To be fair, I will also provide seven reasons why you should consider getting one.
- If you’ve not owned an iPad, you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s the original tablet and leader of the tablet pack.
- If you intend to make the iPad your primary device. Gone are the days when the iPad has to play second fiddle to the notebook computer. I know of people who use just the iPad for work and play.
- It can handle tons of stuff. The new chip is powerful enough for Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoship CC and even games that require graphics grunt.
- The Apple Pencil is a game changer. If you’re the creative sort, it’s all you need to bring around with you on your sojourns.
- Weighing just 458 grammes for the wi-fi version, it is light and thin — plus points for bringing around anywhere.
- If you’re into shooting 4K video, this is it — you can even edit your videos on this device.
- If you’re an Apple ecosystem fan, this is a must-have to complete your collection. Everything works seamlessly across the Apple products.
So, whether to buy or not really depends on your needs. I don’t need a new version at the moment but your needs may differ from mine.